I have seen most of the times fresher start rigging the character as soon as they get the file. They forget to check for the basic requirements and conditions a character mesh should have. Today I want to share a few basic check lists one must follow before starting a character rig. Whichever software you use, it’s always good practice to follow these basic steps:
1. Make sure your mesh is in right hierarchy.
2. Make sure there is no unwanted transformation like translate/rotate/scale value on your mesh.
3. There should be no unwanted history on mesh. Special care should be taken. Some history nodes are meant to keep like Blend
4. Make sure all mesh is properly named.
5. Your character should always stand on grid and facing the positive Z-axis.
6. There should be no unwanted stuff in you scene. The outliner should be clean.
Senior Rigging Artist
Academy of Animation and Gaming, Noida